Housing and retail at RFK site likely won't open until years after new stadium

D.C. plans to welcome the Washington Commanders back to the city with a new stadium in five years. But fans will likely have to wait several more years for restaurants, hotels and retail shops to open nearby.

That’s because of a last-minute change made to the $3.7 billion stadium deal before it was approved by the D.C. Council last week. It requires the mixed-use parts of the development to go through the normal zoning process.

The first phase of the mixed-use development, the Plaza District, will feature housing, hotels, retail and restaurants in front of the new stadium. It was originally scheduled to be completed by the end of 2030, the same year the stadium is expected to open.

Commanders Plans

D.C. Council Chair Phil Mendelson introduced the amendment to the stadium deal legislation requiring the full zoning process for the mixed-use plans. The council approved that legislation before voting to approve the deal on Wednesday, Sept. 17.

Mendelson estimated the delay could be three or more years.

“The campus needs to be rezoned. In order for it to be rezoned, there has to be an amendment to the comprehensive plan. And in order for there to be an amendment to the comprehensive plan, not only does legislation have to be submitted to the council, but then it has to go through a National Capital Planning Commission review. I’m trying to describe how these steps will take time,” Mendelson said.

“And so, add three years to the comprehensive plan, the zoning, the design review, NCPC, and December 31st, 2030 may not be achievable,” he said.

The entire project includes the long-awaited development of the 180 acres along the Anacostia River, bringing affordable housing, entertainment, retail and a new grocery store to the currently underused site.

“While the mixed-use development must follow the standard zoning process, the economic impact is already beginning. Jobs are being created now, and we encourage local businesses to get involved early. We’re moving with urgency to deliver long-term benefits for residents, workers, and the broader region,” the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development told News4 in a statement.

The zoning change and resulting delay was first reported by Axios.

 

Want more insights? Join Grow With Caliber - our career elevating newsletter and get our take on the future of work delivered weekly.