Hong Kong tower fire toll rises to 94 as families search for missing loved ones

Hong Kong Tower Fire Toll Rises as Families Desperately Seek News of the Missing

HONG KONG, Nov 28 — Outside a community centre in the Tai Po district on Friday morning, lines of distressed residents, relatives, and friends stretched down the block as people waited for their turn to identify victims of Hong Kong’s deadliest fire in nearly eight decades. The quiet hum of the crowd was broken only by the occasional sob as emergency workers moved between the centre and the still-smouldering remains of the Wang Fuk Court residential complex.

The blaze, which tore through all eight 32-storey towers of the development, has so far claimed the lives of at least 94 people, with authorities warning that the death toll may climb further. Many more remain unaccounted for, and the painstaking search for survivors and bodies continued throughout the day.

Officials confirmed that three senior staff members from a construction company responsible for recent maintenance works on the buildings had been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter. The firm allegedly used unsafe materials—including flammable foam boards that were found obstructing several window openings—conditions investigators believe may have accelerated the deadly spread of the flames.

A Heart-Wrenching Wait for Answers

As firefighters extinguished the remaining hotspots on Friday, families filed into the makeshift identification centre where rescue teams had laid out photographs of the deceased. This grim procedure was the only way to match many bodies, as the intensity of the fire had left numerous victims unrecognizable.

Among the anxious relatives was 48-year-old Mirra Wong, who had been searching desperately for her father. Her parents lived in Wang Fuk Court, and she had already learned that her mother did not survive.

“Some photos look like they might be my dad,” she said quietly. “But there’s no confirmation. His body hasn’t been found. I just need to know where he is.”

Nearby, another resident—who did not want to give her name—described waiting for word on a friend’s wife who had vanished in the chaos. Although she tried to remain composed, her voice wavered.

“Logically, I know it’s unlikely she survived,” she said. “But someone has to locate the bodies. We need closure. It’s unbearable, especially when the missing are people we know and love.”

By early Thursday, authorities had documented 279 missing persons reports, though the official number had not been updated for more than a full day. Fire crews warned that many units remained inaccessible due to structural hazards.

Deputy Fire Services Director Derek Chan told reporters that teams were preparing to force open every unit in seven of the towers to ensure no victims were overlooked. He added that 25 emergency calls made during the height of the blaze were still unresolved—including three new leads that emerged early Friday—which would be prioritized.

Worst Fire Since 1948 and Its Wider Impact

The scale of the disaster has shocked Hong Kong. Not since 1948, when a warehouse fire claimed 176 lives, has the city endured such a devastating blaze. Comparisons have already surfaced between this tragedy and London’s Grenfell Tower fire in 2017, which resulted in 72 deaths and prompted a global debate about building safety standards.

A significant number of those affected in Tai Po were foreign domestic workers, who often live in small rooms inside their employers’ homes. According to Edwina Antonio, executive director of migrant women’s refuge Bethune House, dozens of Filipino domestic workers had been in the complex when the fire broke out, and 19 were still unaccounted for as of Friday. Indonesia’s consulate confirmed that two of the fatalities were Indonesian nationals working as live-in helpers.

Hong Kong is home to roughly 368,000 domestic workers, most of them women from Southeast Asia who support families back home. Community leaders fear that the true toll on this group may not be known for days.

Negligence Allegations and a Criminal Investigation

As public anger mounted, police announced the arrest of two directors and an engineering consultant linked to Prestige Construction, the firm the government said had been overseeing maintenance works at Wang Fuk Court for more than a year. Investigators suspect that poor safety practices—and specifically the use of combustible materials—played a significant role in the disaster.

Police Superintendent Eileen Chung condemned what she described as “gross negligence,” accusing the company’s decision-makers of creating conditions that allowed the fire to spread rapidly and with catastrophic consequences.

Prestige Construction did not respond to repeated attempts for comment.

Authorities raided the company’s offices, seizing employment records, bidding documents, computers, and mobile phones as part of the ongoing investigation. Meanwhile, Hong Kong’s Development Bureau announced discussions about phasing out bamboo scaffolding—a centuries-old construction method still widely used in the city—in favor of safer metal alternatives.

Government and Corporate Response

Hong Kong’s Chief Executive John Lee pledged immediate support for victims and announced the creation of a HK$300 million (US$39 million) relief fund to help displaced residents recover. Several major Chinese corporations also publicized their own donations, aiming to support temporary housing, medical care, and recovery efforts.

Still, the government’s response has drawn mixed reactions. Some residents expressed gratitude for the emergency funding, while others argued that the tragedy underscored long-standing concerns about building safety oversight and regulatory enforcement.

Political analysts say the event could test public confidence in Hong Kong’s leadership as well as Beijing’s management of the semi-autonomous region, especially given ongoing debates around housing conditions, affordability, and urban safety.

Evacuees Sleeping in Malls and Parking Lots

As rescuers continued their work, dozens of residents who had escaped the fire were spending their second night without permanent shelter. Many avoided government-run emergency centres, insisting that they should be prioritized for those with nowhere else to go.

At a nearby shopping mall, exhausted evacuees set up makeshift sleeping areas, laying out mattresses and blankets along hallways and atriums. Elderly residents, parents with young children, and even students wrapped themselves in duvets or slept inside portable tents pitched near a McDonald’s and several convenience stores.

Volunteers arrived with plastic bags filled with toiletries, bottled water, instant noodles, and snacks. Though the community rallied to support survivors, the atmosphere was heavy with worry and grief.

A City of High-Rises Confronts Its Vulnerabilities

Hong Kong, among the most densely populated places in the world, relies heavily on massive high-rise estates to house its population. Many of these complexes are decades old, and pressure to keep housing costs down has often resulted in deferred repairs and maintenance shortfalls.

This tragedy, some urban experts argue, has exposed the fragile intersection of affordability, safety, and governance. With property prices perennially among the highest globally, residents often have little choice but to live in ageing towers that were not designed with modern fire-safety expectations in mind.

Concerns about ventilation systems, evacuation procedures, and the legality of interior modifications have resurfaced, especially in buildings where subdivided flats or unauthorized renovations create maze-like floor plans that can trap smoke.

A Test of Leadership in a Time of Crisis

Both Hong Kong’s leadership and China’s central authorities have moved quickly to convey that they are treating the fire as a national-level concern. Officials emphasized that no resource would be spared in the search for survivors and in supporting those who lost homes or family members.

Yet some observers warn that public frustration—already amplified by years of political tension, economic strain, and housing pressures—may rise further as more details emerge about how such a large-scale disaster unfolded in a major global city with strict building regulations.

For now, grief has overshadowed anger. But calls for accountability, reform, and safety audits are growing louder.

A Community Bound by Tragedy

Back at the identification centre, lines continued to grow as night fell. Families clutched tissue packets, photos of loved ones, and documents that might speed the search. Volunteers distributed warm drinks while counsellors stood by to support relatives as they awaited news that could either bring relief or shatter their world.

Inside the still-charred towers of Wang Fuk Court, firefighters worked floor by floor, searching through blackened debris for any remnants of life or evidence that could help determine how the fire spread so quickly. For many families, the wait will continue for days.

Hong Kong mourns together—with shock, sorrow, and a collective determination to understand how a tragedy of this magnitude could occur in a modern city known for its towering skyline and stringent standards. The full truth may take time to surface. But for now, the city stands united in grief, searching for answers and struggling to comprehend the enormity of the loss.

Source

The post Hong Kong tower fire toll rises to 94 as families search for missing loved ones appeared first on Foxton News.

 

Want more insights? Join Grow With Caliber - our career elevating newsletter and get our take on the future of work delivered weekly.