California school board member temporarily banned from school after clash with principal over ICE protests

California school board member temporarily banned from school after clash with principal over ICE protests

A California school board member is banned from entering a high school campus for two weeks after school board counterparts voted to approve a stay-away letter last week.The Office of the Superintendent prepared an agenda item to discuss Pajaro Valley Unified School District trustee Gabe Medina’s confrontation with Pajaro Valley High School principal Todd Wilson. The confrontation was about Pajaro Valley High School students joining the national walkout protests against U.S. Immigration Customs and Enforcement (ICE) on Jan. 30.After Medina confronted Wilson, he faced scrutiny and a stay-away letter was created that stated he couldn’t access school grounds for two weeks. During a school board meeting on February 11, Medina’s colleagues voted 4-1 agreeing to approve the stay-away letter. The vote also mandated that Medina and Wilson are required to have a mediated conversation. WEALTHY MARYLAND SCHOOL DISTRICT PTA TRAINS PARENTS HOW TO DISRUPT ICE ENFORCEMENT OPERATIONS”One of our board colleagues was at the school and got into a verbal altercation with a district employee. Staff reported that the board member was aggressive, getting in the employees’ face nose to nose…,” Board President Carol Turley said.”The board member was not acting in his official capacity but rather as a private citizen. Based on those events, the employee and staff expressed concerns about their safety and well-being and have requested proper protections are in place,” Turley continued.Medina said in an Instagram video that he confronted Wilson about him allegedly threatening to tow students’ vehicles for participating in the protests.Medina received both support and…

Continue reading →

 

Want more insights? Join Grow With Caliber - our career elevating newsletter and get our take on the future of work delivered weekly.